Dr. Appel was board certified in Pediatrics in 1986. During the last 25 years of her career, she completed a course in pediatric and adolescent psychopharmacology. She has spent seven years working part-time as the Medical Director of the Andrus Children's Center in Yonkers, New York, coordinating the care of 75 residential-based children with three staff psychiatrists. Prior to her private practice, she worked as a staff pediatrician in Florida and New Jersey, and in New York in a private group practice.
Spending time learning about the lives of her patients helps create an insightful approach towards prevention, management, and balance of her patients' physical and emotional health. She has experience prescribing and managing medication when necessary for anxiety and depression.
The management of life and health issues requires an availability and access to information, advice, and treatment when patients, travel, attend college, and are unable to be seen as readily. Dr. Appel will skype, text, and email with patients and collaborate with school health centers, therapists, nutritionists, and psychiatrists for patients attending college.
Dr. Appel is happy to work with a team when patients require a higher level of care. After many years of experience it is clear how important the continuity of care can be for patients with multiple problems requiring an integrated approach for the best care possible.
Dr. Appel is trained in Motivational Interviewing, using a patient-based approach to creating successful change in her patients’ lives. This is an inspirational and cognitive approach, helping build a foundation of success to reaching difficult goals and maintaining them.
|• 1976 – B.A. State University of New York at Stony Brook
• 1981 – M.D. Universidad Del Noreste, Tampico, Mexico
|• 1982 – Fifth Pathway Brookdale Hospital, Brooklyn, NY
|• 1983 – Internship; Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, New York
• 1985 – Residency; Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL
|• 1984 – Residency; Long Island Jewish Hospital; Schneider
Children’s, Lake Success, NY
• 1986 – American Board of Pediatrics
|• New York
||• New Jersey
|• Voluntary Attending
Pediatrics, St. Luke / Roosevelt Hospital, NY / Mt. Sinai Hospital NY
|• Voluntary Attending
Department of Pediatrics, Montefiore Medical Center Bronx, NY
|• Assistant Clinical Professor of Pediatrics
||• Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
• Solo practice Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine – 2001 - Present
• 9/2004 - 6/2011 – Julia Dykman Andrus Memorial Children’s Residential Facility, Yonkers, NY
• Riverside Pediatrics, Croton-on-Hudson, NY
Pediatric Associate in Private Group Practice
• 1987-1996 – Westpark Pediatrics, Ocean, NJ
Affiliation as Associate Attending
• Monmouth Medical Center and Jersey Shore Medical Center – Her responsibilities included general pediatric care and resident teaching.
• Staff model HMO, Health America Corporation, Sunrise, FL – Her responsibilities included general pediatric care and resident training at Plantation General
• Public Health Service Clinic, Stanley Myers Medical Center, Miami Beach, FL